St Peter's Episcopal Church, Inverkeithing
Hope Street, Inverkeithing and Inverkeithing High School, Hillend Road                             


History 1899 to 1959

Before 1900

 

1899

About 50 Episcopalians in Inverkeithing begin to have mid-week meetings, led by Rev. Ernest Day of Holy Trinity, Dunfermline. They petition the Bishop for the foundation of a mission church in the town.

 

1900s and 10s

 

1900

Layman, Brother Bayne, begins to take Sunday Services, succeeded by Brother Bailey. They are held first in the Town House, then in a room in Hill Street, then in Fordell House.
Sunday school begins.

1902

We purchase part of Witchknowe Park from the town council.

1903

The nave (present hall) is completed on the site, to a design by Henry F Kerr, architect, and Bishop Wilkinson dedicates it to St. Peter, patron saint of Inverkeithing.

1909

The naval base is established at Rosyth and the congregation expands.

1910

Chancel (present worship area) and vestry are completed.
Rev. Alexander Leslie Ross, from Hawick, is appointed curate at St. Peter’s.
Friars and Brothers.

1913

A church hall is built to the north of the church (site of present children’s home). The military requisition it during World War 1.

1915

Rev. George Hebb Taylor is appointed in place of Rev. A. L. Ross, who has become an army chaplain.
St. Peter’s becomes a separate charge.

1918

Rev. H. Guy Sclater is appointed.
Fire destroys the hall. We replace it with an ex-army hut, brought from Kinross. It has a stage and dressing rooms.

 

1920s and 30s

 

1922

Rev Cyril Mee Turnell is appointed.
In the 1920s we buy No. 3 Bannerman Avenue as a rectory.

1924

Rev. Fabian Anthony Forrest-Bell is appointed.

1929

Rev. John Lyon Shaw is appointed. Father Shaw is a great devotee of church music and ceremony and the choir and servers thrive.

1933-36

Revs. Laurence Percy Archer-Shepherd and W. M. Tuke.

1936

Rev. John George Aspinall is appointed.
The incumbent of St. Peter’s undertakes the RAF Chaplaincy.

 

1940s and 50s

 

1946

Rev. Francis James Craig Luke is appointed.
Mothers’ Union branch opens. It continues until the 1980s.

1948

Rev. John Thomas Brychan Evans is appointed. He is an ex-naval chaplain, who rides a motor scooter on his rounds of the parish. He is the last incumbent to serve Inverkeithing only.
The rectory is now at 13 Struan Place.
Square dancing in the hall.
A Women’s Guild with about 20 members looks after fund-raising. Around this time Mrs. Barrett makes our all-seasons altar frontal.

1953

Rev. J. T. B. Evans leaves and St. Peter’s is linked with St. Andrew’s and St. George’s, Rosyth and comes under the supervision of the Rosyth rector, Rev. J McLintock.

1955

Rev. Peter Colebrook

1957

Rev. A. R. Fletcher

1958

Rev. P Canham is appointed to Rosyth and Inverkeithing.
The tenements to the south of the church (Knowe Terrace) are demolished around now (site of the present public gardens).

 






Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: SC017966